What are your Craps Knowledge Gaps

The forum name says it all. You're new to the game of craps and don't have a clue where to begin. Pass Line. Don't Pass. Come. Don't Come. Hardways. Big Six. Big Eight. The Horn. Good Grief! Sounds like back when you were trying to make a decision about what to do in the back seat on that first car date. Well never fear! There are a few folks around here who have spent enough time at the tables to be able to answer just about any question you may have. So step right up and get a clue!

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

Dice Are Out

Re: What are your Craps Knowledge Gaps

Post by Dice Are Out » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:34 am

HowieHops wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:13 am DAO, if I read your questions correctly that you have your place bets working on the come out, then a come out seven will take them all out. Yo or craps have no effect on working place bets. If the come out hits your place bet number then you will be paid a place bet win. From there you have options depending on if you were tossing the come out or someone else.
Yes, that is it. I honestly fee like why wouldn't I have them working. Doesn't matter if I make my point first and then 7 out with my bets or just 7 out on the first roll.
thanks.

HowieHops

Post by HowieHops » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:16 am

DAO, that is something I have thought about on more than one occasion, in the scheme of things why not have your bets working on the come out?

Generally the come out is one throw, unless you have a skilled shooter the seven is no more likely to be on this roll as any other roll. I can't answer as to why place bets and hard ways are off on the come out unless you ask for them to work (some places do work hard ways on the come out).

No doubt someone here will address this when they see it.

Hops

disgustipateddj

Post by disgustipateddj » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:48 pm

on the roll to win game, there is a spot that says "place to lose" next to the lay. what does that pay?

220Inside

Post by 220Inside » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:13 pm

disgustipateddj wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:48 pm on the roll to win game, there is a spot that says "place to lose" next to the lay. what does that pay?
The place to lose bet is the opposite of a place bet, much like a DP/DC is the opposite of a PL/Come bet. It's a dark side bet that does not have to go through a come out toss to establish a point for the bet. As you might expect, the place to lose bet wins if a 7 is tossed before the number and loses if the number is tossed before a 7 (just like a DP/DC) bet,

The bet is also the opposite of a lay bet but the two bets pay different odds. Lay bets are like buy bets, in that they pay true odds but you have to pay a vig for that privilege. Place to lose bets, like place bets, pay at a lower rate than true odds but do not incur a vig. The odds on place to lose bets are:

For 6 and 8: 4 to 5
For 5 and 9: 5 to 8
For 4 and 10: 5 to 11

According to Wizard Of Odds, the place to lose bets are always more favorable on the inside numbers, while a lay bet is preferable on the 4 and 10.

disgustipateddj

Post by disgustipateddj » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:55 pm

right I figure they had to be worse odds which means it cant be reverse of place odds (like the lay is inverse of true odds of buy).
[/quote]
According to Wizard Of Odds, the place to lose bets are always more favorable on the inside numbers, while a lay bet is preferable on the 4 and 10.
[/quote]

except for on the RTW where odds are calculated to the $.01. nevertheless, I guess i'll stop paying vigs to lay 5,6,8,9. but be cognizant to place proper amounts, (multiples of 8 on 5/9 and 5 on 6/8) so as to make it difficult for the dealer,

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:20 am

Place to Lose bets are almost non-existent on traditional tables in the US, while they are not uncommon on European tables (when you can find European tables). Roll 2 Win tables are the rare exception.
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy