What are your Craps Knowledge Gaps

The forum name says it all. You're new to the game of craps and don't have a clue where to begin. Pass Line. Don't Pass. Come. Don't Come. Hardways. Big Six. Big Eight. The Horn. Good Grief! Sounds like back when you were trying to make a decision about what to do in the back seat on that first car date. Well never fear! There are a few folks around here who have spent enough time at the tables to be able to answer just about any question you may have. So step right up and get a clue!

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

London Shooter

Re: What are your Craps Knowledge Gaps

Post by London Shooter » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:26 am

I found two pics on another site which showed an example of bridging the odds and straddling/heeling the odds which I hope to post in a minute

London Shooter

Post by London Shooter » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:27 am

dont-pass_bridging-the-odds-bet-300x185.png
dont-pass_bridging-the-odds-bet-300x185.png (4.91 KiB) Viewed 27843 times
dont-pass_bridging-the-odds-bet-300x185.png
dont-pass_bridging-the-odds-bet-300x185.png (4.91 KiB) Viewed 27843 times
Attachments
dont-pass_heeling-the-odds-bet-300x188.png
dont-pass_heeling-the-odds-bet-300x188.png (5.1 KiB) Viewed 27843 times

London Shooter

Post by London Shooter » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:33 am

In the interests of full disclosure the above pics are from an article on www.crapspit.org

It's the only place I found a visible interpretation of how the odds should be placed on a DP wager.

Thanks to thnick, DF and MSS for chiming in on this. Surely one of the most confusing craps topics for a newbie?

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:57 am

The odds are always placed so the dealer that is paying you comes to the odds first. If you're on the left side of the table they go on the left side of your bet. If you're on the right side of the table they go on the right side.
This is one of the most confusing aspects of laying odds - and this IS the correct way to do it. Put the odds bet on the side away from the stickman. As for bridging and heeling odds - odds are bridged if it's a single odds bet. Otherwise you heel them. Last of all, as mentioned above, there's a fair chance the dealer is going to re-set your bets to his satisfaction so don't sweat that. It doesn't mean you did anything wrong. He may even take your bridged bet and heel it because he's more comfortable with it that way. Whatever. It's up to him. Just make certain your bets get repositioned correctly when the dice hit them and splatter them all over the place.
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

Dylanfreake

Post by Dylanfreake » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Yes , that`s right Heavy and missthis, for the left side /right side. I just always make sure the flat wager is closest to the Stickman no matter where my position is at the table.

SHOOTITALL

Post by SHOOTITALL » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:48 pm

London Shooter wrote:In the interests of full disclosure
Don't quit your day yob as you would never make it in politics.
Your craps plan? The dice gods laughed.

Cap-n_Lou

Post by Cap-n_Lou » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:00 pm

This is one I've never been sure about -- thanks everyone.

mssthis1

Post by mssthis1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:42 pm

irish wrote:Ever noticed that regardless of whether you bridge/heal your don't odds correctly or not, the dealer still resets them?
I believe dealers do that to verify the amount, figure out the payout, and correct improper odds which I see happen a LOT. That way they don't have to think about the payout on an oddball amount while everyone is watching.

I often use $30.00 increments for laid odds since it works no matter what the point is. One time recently at Altoona, the point was 8. $30 laid odds. Pit critter had to tell the breakin dealer the payout on the odds was $25.00. Next point is a 10. $30.00 laid odds. Dealer pays me $25.00 again but I didn't have the heart to keep it.

London Shooter

Post by London Shooter » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:37 am

It is certainly a side of the game every serious player should learn, but as alluded to above you need to be on the ball following your bets and know what the expected return is.......much more so than on the other side.

The dealers definitely make more mistakes on the don'ts. Underpayments, overpayments, DCs that don't travel, DCs that aren't taken down when the number hits, DCs that aren't paid on CO 7s, DPs/DCs that don't get taken down on craps numbers.

Begs the question that we have talked about before: How do you handle dealer errors in your favour? Maybe that should be a separate topic.

Moe Bettor

Post by Moe Bettor » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:15 am

Yes. I had a DC 4 that stayed up even though the 4 was hit. I had toked the dealers early on and had a couple of 2 way hardways going. I wondered if they just did that on purpose.

Dark Side

Post by Dark Side » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 am

London Shooter wrote: Begs the question that we have talked about before: How do you handle dealer errors in your favour? Maybe that should be a separate topic.
You bring it to their attention just as you would if the error wasn't in your favor.

DS

pappyvanwinkle

Post by pappyvanwinkle » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:59 am

Anyone ever seen "Don't Place Bets"? In the USA, we'd just lay the number, but I heard either in Europe or Australia, they lay them out differently, still pays the same. Just wondering for those outside the USA if they'd encountered before
Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time

London Shooter

Post by London Shooter » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Yes we have "don't place bets over here". They don't pay the same as US lays. The odds are fixed as follows:

lay 6&8 pays 4 to 5
lay 5 & 9 pays 5 to 8
lay 4 and 10 pays 5 to 11

We have no buy bets, nor lay bets as you have over there so don't get involved in the vig (or commission question)

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Also known as "place to lose" bets...
- Heavy

Metaled

Post by Metaled » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:44 pm

Adjusting to table bounce conditions
In Vancouver Canada, the River Rock has a 14' bouncey table. my PARR toss at 45degrees bounces a lot.

The Grand Villa in Burnaby is 14' with a really hard bounce. My PARR toss bounces a lot as well.

I just started thinking about this a couple of weeks ago after reading a post from Heavy re lower angle of the toss for bouncey and hard tables. Also getting into MPs book has made me think there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Now I'm fighting with consistency and bringing a lot of different elements into my PARR toss.

I started toying with a new toss MPs Dead Cat at the River Rock. The shooting distance from SL1 was 5' and I was lobbing in the corner/hook. The toss was about 50-60 degrees and the dice seemed to land hard but not bounce around that much. Don't know if aiming for the base of the alligator worked or I should try further back.

Anyways...I hit 3points and hit in the low teens with this roll. A few times I also hit the player playing from the hook. Dice were also out a couple times. It was fun "practicing" but I need to practice at home more.
Overhand lob with min backspin. Any thoughts?
Thanks

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:57 pm

When shooting for a dead cat type landing I go for the base of the wall with a fairly high trajectory (I sometimes call it a drop shot).

The problem you're having with a "parr" type toss is largely due to the 45 degree angle IMHO. I'm a proponent of a MUCH lower angle - closer to 30 degrees. Certainly no more than rail-high, which is about 11 inches off the deck.
- Heavy

Metaled

Post by Metaled » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks for the tip...I'll try working these suggestions into my practice sessions...need to get more consistent.

Knick111

Post by Knick111 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:38 am

Goodmorning tgparker,

To answer that question first we need to know if you are right handed OR left handed.

Do you throw the dice well with both hands?.

Jaime garcia---not the baseball player.

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:47 am

If you are standing behind the stickman looking at the back of his head - stick left is on your left - stick right is on your right. The same as if you're standing at the table facing the dealer.
- Heavy

rhythm roller

Post by rhythm roller » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:16 pm

Tg,
Not a silly question. I remember being new and not knowing this either.

Stand at the craps table as if you are the stickman (or picture it in your mind) You are facing the table just as the stick would be doing while working the table. To the stickman's right is Stick right and to the stickman's left is Stick left.
"The difference between try and triumph is a little umph."