a revisit to a strategy

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

Moe Bettor

a revisit to a strategy

Post by Moe Bettor » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:23 am

Maybe it's time to go over when and why you take your bets down during a hand. I'm seeing and hearing a lot about large betting. Ok, you've regressed and pressed. Now you've got $500 on the table and you've racked a couple hundred..maybe a bit less. But you're ahead and waiting for that $420 hit on the six. If you brought everything down versus hit that $500 for $10. I know my tendency. It has never hurt me, but rolls have gone on. Any thoughts?

Michael

Re: a revisit to a strategy

Post by Michael » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:35 am

I would leave it up,unless something bad happened (stick change, buy in in middle of hand,etc)
Your way never hurts.
Rock On
M & M

rhythm roller

Post by rhythm roller » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:09 pm

For me, it goes back to the "it depends". Are my fingers now feeling sticky or am I having trouble with my pickup? How are my dice looking in the air now? Am I thinking about the devil coming? Am I still hitting my spot? If any of those then I am at least going to regress my bets to get money in my rack. Yeah, I know the devil can come on a good toss as well but I am willing to live with that.
"The difference between try and triumph is a little umph."

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:54 pm

For me it depends on who's shooting, how they're shooting (or how I'm shooting). If it's me, I rarely turn my bets off or take them down UNLESS some sort of shit gets between my ears. Then I try to listen to that little voice and just turn them off for a couple of rolls to see if I survive whatever was nagging at me.

Other times, I may decide I've opted for the wrong betting strategy and make a change in mid-stream. Man, I hate jumping ship like that but sometimes you just have to. Let's say you're sitting there with a $42 Six you've collected $50 for $1 on four times in the last eight rolls and a $420 Eight that's been sitting there asleep for 16 rolls. At some point I'm probably going to say it's time to do a little regressing and rebalancing and go "Make my Six and Eight look like $180 each." If my math is right I'll get $110 change to lock up. On the next hit on either I'll lock up $210. Then on the next hit on either I may drop $30 and press them both to $300. Next hit pays $350. Drop $10 and press them both to $480. Next hit pays $560. Time to lock up that $560 - Regress back to $180 each and lock up another $500 and do it again. Or maybe just bring it all down and say, "I've won enough for one night. I think I'll leave some for tomorrow. Passing the dice. Color coming in."

Nah, I didn't think so.
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

mainframe

Post by mainframe » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:50 pm

I often do a "one hit and down" on apparently random shooters. I will place the 6 and 8. When either hits, I take it down. When the other hits, I take it down also. Its a way to have a small amount of action on the table with a random shooter while I wait for a D.I. (or for myself).
Variations of this for me include hit once, press one unit, hit again, take down. Or bet 3 units, hit, regress to two units, hit, regress to one unit, take down.