Looking For Old Craps Book

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

Kelph

Looking For Old Craps Book

Post by Kelph » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:41 am

I've been searching online without any success for an out of print Craps book called Playing Craps for a Living by Edward Heston who was a contributor to the Crapsmen Newsletters back in the 80's (that's how I learned about the book). Strange that there is absolutely nothing on the author or book.

I think he was a friend of Richard Doppler who also wrote articles, developed strategies and owned Gambler's Emporium. I tried to source through Emporium but it appears the site has been sold and my AV blocks connecting to that domain name under the new owners.

If anyone has it and is willing to part with it or a lead let me know. As far as I can tell it was published somewhere close to 1983 but I could be off by years. The out of print book search engines come up empty.

I have no idea if it was good or bad but I enjoyed reading his old articles and thought the book worth a look. Being hard to find has now made it a challenge.

Kelph

eastcoast

Re: Looking For Old Craps Book

Post by eastcoast » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:15 am

Kelph, I agree thats a tough search. The only item I found was Doppler's article on Hestons history, and his (Doppler) subsequent book or article called "Comprehensive Craps" that highlights Ed Heston's strategys.

Kelph

Post by Kelph » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:25 pm

eastcoast and aparadim,

Thanks for the response. I have the Doppler Strategy (the Don't) and his Advanced Pass Line Strategy purchased many years ago for my Craps' library.

Heston's Comprehensive Craps no doubt contains whatever was in his Playing Craps for a Living book plus more but I'll have think about buying an unknown for that much without a chance to glance through just to add to my library. The plus is that Doppler gives it a personal recommendation and I have found his strategies and articles to be solid.

Wasn't it Heston who said they'd have to pry the dice from his cold dead fingers?

Again my thanks for the help.

Kelph

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:11 pm

I've read a lot of Doppler's articles in the Crapsmen newsletters from the 80's. IMHO most of his strategies are pure BS. Just variants of the same old stuff. Interesting that this thread popped up because I was considering starting a thread on systems and system sellers. Somewhere at the house I have a bankers box full of old systems I've accumulated through the years. Had it in mind once to create what I call a "Frankenstein" strategy - a system cut and pasted from the best parts of other people's systems. If I ever get a day off where that I'm not spending in the dentist's chair or the doctor's office perhaps I'll get that done - although at the moment I'd rather have a nap.
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:26 pm

That reminds me of the old saw. "A CAMEL is a horse designed by a COMMITTEE!" :lol:

There was a guy, named Rex, if I recall correctly, that tried to do the same thing about a decade ago with a Chinese-menu type of "pick any two from Column A...any one from Column B...and any three from Column C" grid-approach to some of Billhere's systems that he hybridized.

He had it set up like a grid...you started by selecting "risk-tolerance" (meek and mild, conservative, somewhat-risky, action-junkie, etc.)...then moved down to bet-type preference (Do/Don't, Place/Lay, Field/Props/Hops, etc.)...then to buy-in size and growth-objectives and so on.

Each bottom-of-the-matrix 'box' was linked to a different hybrid betting-system that Rex had cobbled together. I rechecked the wayback-machine but couldn't find it on Billhere's old site.

H, if you are still in touch with ausound, he may have a copy of it.

MP

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:14 pm

Man, there are a bunch of guys who have fallen by the wayside through the years. . . BTW, I found a site last night that was selling systems that were readily available on the web for free if someone took the time to google them. Hard to imagine how these guys generate enough income to keep their websites up and running . . .
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

Kelph

Post by Kelph » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Heavy,

Just to clarify......I'm looking for a book by Edward Heston. Since Doppler supposedly has/had a relationship with Heston I tried GE to see what help if any Doppler could provide. It's disheartening that a couple of weeks later there's no response. Couldn't even reply to say leave me alone you jerk.

Kelph