Single versus Multiple Place Bets - Which way to go?

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

heavy
Site Admin

Single versus Multiple Place Bets - Which way to go?

Post by heavy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:46 am

Let's say you are at one of our seminars and are heading to the tables for a live session with five other students. The students have varying degrees of skill but all have been practicing and their tosses look pretty good. You have apportioned your bankroll so that you have $60 to bet on each shooter. You can bet up to $60 on each player but don't have to bet every single dollar. In your opinion - what is your bets betting approach in a $10 Game? Here are a couple of thought starters:

Would you be better off placing a single $60 Place bet on the six or eight, or should you split it and go with $30 each on the six and eight?

How about playing $10 on the Pass Line with $50 odds? Or would you be better off playing a $60 Pass Line bet with no odds?

What about playing $10 on the DP and laying as much odds as possible while making a correct bet? How about playing a $60 DP bet with no odds.

We're talking "either - or" situations here. First - if placing or laying numbers are you better off wagering on one number alone or spreading your action. Second - should you simply flat bet all of your allocated funds for that shooter or should you go with a table minimum bet and max odds?

Thoughts?
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

Lkwd

Re: Single versus Multiple Place Bets - Which way to go?

Post by Lkwd » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Heavy

My approach seems to change as the years go by.

Lets forget all they intangibles like here such as: early morning shoot, downtown or strip, heat or not heat, hard or bouncy table, lets just look at this as an assignment from the teacher.

I would use one of two strategies. This is based on the normal shooter but since we saw him shooting in practice we do have a little edge.

1) If I was next in line a passline bet and double odds and wait it out to see where its going.

2) If I am not next in line,no passline, wait for one toss after the point is set, then a come bet with double odds, and again wait it out.

If there are 5 classroom shooters most likely 3 or 4 will have minimal if not no success the first time around. Second time around we shall see as quit often thats when the magic occurs.

Lkwd

SHOOTITALL

Post by SHOOTITALL » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Although there is no wrong answer here, LKWD got close to my take on this. Watch the tosses at the class. You will find some shooters toss more of one number than another, for instance 3 sixes to 1 eight. Maybe the student is a 5/9 tosser. Then you have Heavy's adage, "Donna jumpa inna wid bof feets", so discretion may be the better part of valor here by making minimum pilot bets. sia
Your craps plan? The dice gods laughed.

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Good thoughts. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?
- Heavy

realtime

Post by realtime » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:47 pm

My play would be make a doey/don't bet, wait for the infamous 5 count and then lay the rest of my $60 as odds.

Here is my reasoning.

As students in the seminar new skills have been learned that if practiced enough will pay dvidends in the FUTURE. Right now those skills have not been ingrained into the muscle memory enough and quite possibly will make the shooters have worse results than before taking the course....in the short term of course. Sort of like Tiger Woods or any other professional golfer making a swing change and having horrible results the first few tournaments after the change. Now if one of the guys/gals goes on a tear.......................well I guessed wrong.

OwnTheFelt

Post by OwnTheFelt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:26 pm

I would track the table to see what it is giving me. Once I feel comfortable I may look for an inside opportunity for two hits then place all numbers for table min. Press press press from there. Going off on indicators of the 7

Kelph

Post by Kelph » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Seeing how they shoot in practice is better info than none but it has to be weighed against what I actually see them do at the tables. That means some watching and no betting unless you mean we have to bet from the get go.

I’d prefer to watch while tracking the order of the numbers and see if anything repeats first, the consistency of the set, grip, toss and landing. Can they convert from practice to real action? If yes I’d most likely choose the two best numbers from my tracking and bet them both at the same level but less than the total $60 for a preset number of rolls unless the repeats are being nailed 1, 2, 3. A hit means regress to a single unit on each and probably include a third number and consider the hand is on. If neither hits within the allotted rolls I’m off and preparing for the next shooter.

If I remain in action it’s a press and pull game that may, may include a further spreading out on more numbers or more regressing or coming down depending on what is happening at the table and with the shooter. Sorry to be vague but there’s a lot of potential twists and turns here. I’ve failed to come up with that one always right move.

The more I see each shooter’s results the more confident I’ll be of what to do with each hand’s initial betting level and the number of rolls I’ll risk. Doesn’t mean it's a prediction but just a certainty of the calculated actions I’ll take for better or worse.

One number gives a good bang for the buck but two well chosen numbers gives more help in getting that initial hit without digging a deep hole. In other words a loss is always recoverable with patient playing.

That’s as close to a cover-all answer as I can come. Play the game in front of you.

Kelph

heavy
Site Admin

Post by heavy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:52 am

Let me just tell you that I played a session at the Fremont once - players included yours truly, Dice Coach, Stanford Wong, three or four students from a session we'd done, and one Hawaiian guy who just happened to be standing at the table at the right time. Four of our players held the dice something like three hours between them. Everyone did REALLY well. But the guy who made the MOST money was the little Hawaiian guy. His first bet - $100 Pass Line. Second bet - $200 Pass line. Third bet - $400 Pass Line. Fourth bet - lock up $300 and play $500 Pass Line. Fifth bet - $500 Pass Line with $500 odds. Sixth bet - $500 Pass Line with $1000 odds. He stayed at that level for the rest of the session and locked up something like $40K when all was said and done. In fairly short order he left the rest of us in the dust. And he never made anything but naked line bets and line bets with odds.
- Heavy