Pass line good bet or bad ?

Setting and influencing the dice roll is just part of the picture. To beat the dice you have to know how to bet the dice. Whether you call it a "system," a "strategy," or just a way to play - this is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: 220Inside, DarthNater

Michael

Pass line good bet or bad ?

Post by Michael » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:01 am

The more odds the better ? How do you bet it or do you ?
Rock On
M & M

heavy
Site Admin

Re: Pass line good bet or bad ?

Post by heavy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:34 am

I hate to say "depends on the shooter" but in truth, that's how I play. If I observer a shooter at the table who consistently makes passes then I'll bet the line. At the level I'll be betting in his toss it won't matter if I play the pass line or place the point - but I will have a 2-1 edge over the house on the come out roll and it's difficult to pass that up. Likewise, if the player is a cooler-type who consistently sevens out early then I'll bet the Don'ts on his hand. As for inconsistent shooters - I'll use the Don't Pass Line as a hedge bet - playing the DP, then placing the six and eight.
"Get in, get up, and get gone."
- Heavy

Kelph

Post by Kelph » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:11 am

Agree with Heavy. In days past when I'd bet the line it depended on the shooter.

Sometimes it was almost nothing but Points being established and hit with few box numbers in-between or lots of box numbers and the Point just sitting there untouched.

I now prefer to by-pass the CO and just Place which sometimes includes the Point because I want full control and to be able to remove every chip if and when I want.

As far as the CO Do advantage, which accounts for 45% of the Do wins, my bet was usually small with the lion's share going to the odds. Even now if a shooter starts that game within a game I'd likely be on C&E, Horn or World/Whirl rather than locking up cash on the PL and using parlays which continues to lock up those winnings.

Kelph

DeadCat

Post by DeadCat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:40 pm

Agreed. I tend to think of the PL bet as the "entry fee" for making the Odds bet. In practice the amount of money you have on the PL itself should be dwarfed by the amount you have in Odds BEHIND the line, and you can't make the Odds bet w/o the PL bet.

This is where guys like "Super"Rick have a hard time. They think of the PL bet as only the box number they are "stuck" on and once set it is less likely than not that it will be made. They forget that for a time, it had an advantage, and with Odds you don't have to hit it most of the time to have it be a net winner.

-DC

KnowNothing

Post by KnowNothing » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:51 am

Passline is always table min., unless you plan to increase odds beyond house terms. Odds off the come/pass are top bets on the table. However, suppose one may be aiming to gain on the come out...I just don't play or veiw the game like that.

I personally never increase odds beyond x3 as the next multiplier only drops the H/A by <.10, x3 is almost 1.0.

I'm ultra conservative with my wagers. Only been at the bones for a couple months. I don't lose, but I don't make a killing. I'm working my shot out & earning a 2nd income...grinder! I continue down this road only because I know that I know that I know I have an edge & currently my shot can overcome odds & the 6/8.

God help those who don't know how to properly wager.